Introducing the Early Cancer Diagnosis – Direct Enhanced Services (DES)
As part of the 5 year plan NHS England has introduced the following seven service specifications for Primary Care Networks:
- Structured Medication Review and Medicines Optimisation
- Enhanced Health in Care Homes
- Supporting Early Cancer Diagnosis
- Anticipatory Care
- Personalised Care
- CVD Prevention and Diagnosis
- Tackling Neighbourhood inequalities
The Supporting Early Cancer Diagnosis specification has been undated March 2021 www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/B0431-network-contract-des-early-cancer-diagnosis-guidance-21-22.pdf
The Primary Care Network specification works in combination with the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) Quality Improvement Domain, Early Cancer Diagnosis.
One of the recommendations included in this specification is to support engagement with local system partners such as Cancer Alliances. The Northern Cancer Alliance is keen to support Primary Care Networks in this work, in combination with other support organisation such as the Cancer Research UK Facilitator Programme and our local network of Macmillan GPs.
NHS Confederation – Delivering the early diagnosis of cancer PCN specifications top ten tips.
In the following video aimed at primary care networks, Cancer Research UK GPs share ten top tips on the early diagnosis of cancer.
Essentially the PCN DES is Made up of Three Core Elements
- Review Referral Practices for Suspected Cancers
- Increased Uptake of National Screening Programmes
- Establish a community of practice
The Northern Cancer Alliance alongside key partners (such as the Cancer Research UK Facilitators and Macmillan Cancer Support) have also produced a guidance document and example planning template which can be downloaded via the links below:
- Northern Cancer Alliance Advice and Guidance on the Primary Care Network Early Cancer Diagnosis Specification
- Planning Template – national template awaited