Cancer in the Community
Chair: Dr Chris Tasker, GP Cancer Lead, Newcastle Gateshead CCG / Cancer Research UK Strategic GP, Northern Cancer Alliance
Vice Chair: Dr Katie Elliott, Cancer Research UK Strategic GP, & Clinical Lead (Primary Care), Northern Cancer Alliance
The primary purpose of Northern Cancer Alliance Cancer in the Community Group (CiC) is to provide community representation to ensure that all patients in the North East and North Cumbria receive have
- An understanding regarding healthy life styles and how a healthy life style reduces the risk of cancer.
- Have a better understanding of symptoms of cancer, how and when to access medical advice and where appropriate investigation.
- Aware of importance of national screening programmes in preventing cancer and diagnosing cancer early.
- Have access to high standard primary care regarding cancer diagnosis and recognition.
- Have access to urgent diagnostics to exclude or confirm cancer as per national guidelines.
- Have access to urgent (currently 2 week pathway) referral pathways to exclude or confirm cancer as per national guidelines.
- When needed extra support with cancer prevention and diagnosis, such as patients with learning disability or hard to reach groups.
- And equitable access to safe, evidence based and effective care.
We will achieve this by holding each other to account for performance in this respect.