Cancer Alliance Clinical Leadership Group
Chair: Dr Angela Wood, Clinical Lead (Secondary Care), Northern Cancer Alliance and Dr Katie Elliott, Clinical Lead (Primary Care), Northern Cancer Alliance
The Cancer Alliance Clinical Leadership Group’s purpose is to act as the primary source of clinical advice and leadership to the Northern Cancer Alliance Board concerning the complete cancer pathway. This extends from prevention strategies, through screening and early diagnosis, delivery of evidence based treatment, living with and beyond cancer, palliative and supportive care to end of life care.
To assist the board in improving cancer patients’ outcomes, both in terms of survival and experience of care.
- To report to the board through the alliance Medical Director regarding progress and challenges.
- To review local data and metrics such as the cancer dashboard, comment on their accuracy and where possible use them to inform service improvement proposals.
- To provide a forum for the sharing of good practice, discussing local and national issues and initiatives.
- To develop the group as a partnership, agreeing the responsibilities of each member of the group in relation to each other.
- To ensure the views of patients and carers are taken into account in the planning, operation and evaluation of services including Patient Information material.
- To develop a robust work programme to which members of the group contribute and progress is monitored and timescales agreed. This should be based on the national cancer team’s work streams informed by the recommendations of the cancer taskforce strategy.
- To provide information to the cancer alliance board on the provision of and gaps in services.
- To contribute to the alliance needs assessment of education, training and work force planning.